Chinese characters do not work in Wordpress by default if you didn’t originally setup your Wordpress to handle Chinese.
However, it is pretty easy to get it working. I didn’t see it documented elsewhere, so I thought I’d post instructions on configuring Wordpress to allow posting Chinese.
- Using a program (like phpMyAdmin) to administer your database, select the Wordpress database.
- Find the wp_posts table, and click on the “structure” icon (it is the second from the left under Actions)
- Click the “pencil” icon on the wp_content table.
- Change the Collation option to utf8_unicode_ci (on mine, that’s the option at the very bottom).
- Click Save.
- If you want to enable Chinese in titles, you can repeat the procedure for the wp_posts.wp_title. You might also want to enable it in comments by repeating on wp_comments.comment_content and wp_comments.comment_author.
That’s it! You can now post 汉字 in Wordpress!